The Rebel Legion
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide organization of Star Wars fans in Rebel Alliance costume.
It was founded in 2000 by Tony Troxell and has grown to become Lucasfilm Ltd.’s preferred Rebel Alliance costuming group, most notably appearing in the 2007 Rose Bowl Parade. The Legion was initially formed as a reaction to the 501st Legion and as of 2007 had a membership of over 2000 members. Since then that number has grown and grown.
The Rebel Legion can often be found assisting at promotional events for almost anything related to Star Wars and frequently put their “fame” to use at numerous charity events throughout the year.
The Legion is divided into a number of bases, local “chapters” with jurisdiction over regions of varying size (anywhere from a portion of a state to multiple states to multiple nations).
The Galactic Senate Detachment
The Rebel Legion Galactic Senate Detachment (RLGS) is the dignitary Detachment of the Rebel Legion. The RLGS is responsible for maintaining and advising the Legion command on costume standards for Royalty and Senatorial costumes from the Rebel Alliance, Galactic Republic and New Republic, and providing the Legion with qualified individuals for the approval of all future dignitary costumes. The members of the RLGS also help new costumers work towards finishing dignitary costumes, and advise on any changes needed to the standards of all costumes falling under the detachment.
You can read the Detachment Charter here.
As of 2020, the Galactic Senate has over 400 members, and 26 Delegations.
Formed in November 2007, under the leadership of founding member Becca Kraning (padme911) as the Detachment Commanding Officer with Mary Alice Ladd (Queen Amidala) as the first Detachment Executive Officer. The following individuals have served as RLGS leaders since the detachment’s founding:
2007-2008: padme911 (DCO) & Queen Amidala (DXO)
2008-2009: padme911 (DCO) & LeiaYT1300 (DXO)
2009-2010: padme911 (DCO) & Mieal Deneb (DXO)
2010-2011: Mieal Deneb (DCO) & Princess Sandy (DXO)
2011-2012: Princess Sandy (DCO) & RebelSenator (DXO)
2012-2014: RebelSenator (DCO) & Princess Leah (DXO)
2014-2015: SongofAmazon (DCO) & KyloRen (DXO)
2015-2020: SongofAmazon (DCO) & Lora Skywalker (DXO)
Royalty/Senatorial Costumes that fall under the RLGS:
- Padmé Amidala Naberrie
- Princess Leia Organa
- Old & New Republic Royalty
- Old & New Republic Senators
- Senate Guards
- Other Dignitaries & Individuals Serving in Governance
To join the detachment
If you wish to join the Galactic Senate, all you need is a Star Wars dignitary costume approved by the Rebel Legion. Just follow these steps:
- Assemble a dignitary costume according to the Rebel Legion costume standards. If the costume you want to make doesn’t have a costume standard yet, don’t worry! Just collect your reference images and make your costume as close to the original as possible. Remember to share your images with the judges when you submit your costume for approval. You can also share your research and your progress for feedback on the Royalty/Senatorial sub-forum.
- Register for an account on the Rebel Legion forums and submit your costume via the “My Costumes” link near the top. Remember to check that all of your photo links work before submitting.
- Celebrate when your costume is approved!
- Post a link to your approved dignitary costume in the RLGS sign-up thread. One of the RLGS leaders will add you to our usergroup on the forums and then you will be able to access the RLGS sub-forum.
Current Detachment Command:
- Jenna (SongofAmazon) [Detachment Commanding Officer]
- Maria (Lora Skywalker) [Detachment Executive Officer]
- You can find details on the full team here.